Are Brown Recluse Spiders In Denton, TX Dangerous?
October 15, 2021 - Spiders
The brown recluse is one of two dangerous spiders that can be found in the United States. While all spiders have venom and fangs, only the brown recluse and black widow are dangerous to people. Although black widows are easy to identify because they have a shiny black body and a red hourglass marking on their abdomen, the brown recluse is the most commonly misidentified species. Because the brown recluse is common to the area, it is essential that you can identify this species.
This species is a light brown with a dark violin pattern on the cephalothorax. However, this is not a reliable feature to use when identifying spiders. To better identify brown recluse spiders, you should keep in mind:
- If a spider is bigger than ½ of an inch, it isn't a brown recluse.
- This species has six eyes, two pairs on either side and one pair in the middle instead of eight eyes.
- Their abdomen should be one color and not two.
- It has uniform-colored legs and not banded ones.
- Their legs also have fine hairs and not spines on them.
While bites from this species are rarely fatal, it is always better to be safe, which is why you should always seek medical attention for you, your children, or pets if bitten. To keep you and your family safe from this species, you should take proper preventative measures to control spider populations on your Denton, TX property.
Spider Prevention Tips
When it comes to keeping spiders off your property, your focus should reduce all insect activity. Insects are mostly the spiders' primary food source. If you can effectively reduce prey pests on your property, you can reduce the chances of dealing with brown recluse spiders. General pest prevention that you should implement on your Denton property include:
- Clearing your yard of clutter and debris
- Removing standing water by using filters for ponds and birdbaths, not overwatering plants, and filling in ground holes
- Clearing gutters
- Cutting foliage and keeping grass trimmed
- Storing woodpiles
- Turning off or reducing outside light usage at night
- Cleaning indoor and outdoor eating areas
- Picking up fallen fruits and keeping gardens maintained
- Deterring wildlife by removing bird feeders and baths
- Sealing entry points such as cracks in the foundation and exterior walls, capping the chimney, and putting screens over ventilation areas
- Keeping doors closed when possible
- Installing screens, weather stripping, and door sweeps
- De-webbing regularly
Although these prevention tips will help keep insects controlled on your Denton property, it is not 100%. This is why the best form of pest prevention comes with ongoing professional assistance. To keep brown recluse spiders away, you should consider expert services.
Professional Spider Advice And Assistance
For more advice or assistance, contact Mayco Pest and Termite Control. With our quarterly, bi-monthly, or monthly services, our team of trained professionals can help you keep pests off your property. Controlling pests such as insects controlled is key to reducing spider populations on your Denton property. This is why our residential control program is a great choice for residents and homeowners.
Our residential pest control program includes a thorough inspection to understand what pests you are dealing with and the conducive conditions on your property. Based on inspection findings, we will perform customized, high-quality treatments, paying attention to detail. Last, we will return as frequently as you need to make sure your property remains pest-free.
Don't hesitate, contact Mayco Pest and Termite Control today to learn more about our residential pest control services and how we can assist you.