Denton Homeowners’ Complete Spider Control Guide
January 30, 2022 - Spiders
Spiders catch other pests, making them beneficial when they stay outside. The trouble begins when Texas spiders forgo boundaries and come into homes as uninvited guests. There are several types of spiders in Texas; our technicians at Mayco Pest and Termite Control can handle any spiders found in homes throughout Denton.
Different Kinds Of Spiders Found In Denton
While many spiders found in Denton, TX homes are harmless, some of the most dangerous spiders in the U.S. are also found in this region:
- Brown Recluses: Just as its name implies, the brown recluse spider is brown and shuns human contact. Look for a violin design found on the cephalothorax. Be forewarned: these little fellas can inflict painful bites.
- Crab Spiders: These spiders are usually content to stay in gardens but can occasionally find their way indoors. This type of spider mimics a crab in both looks and movement. Colors vary based on species, and some varietals can even match their body coloring to a favorite perch where they await prey: a flower.
- Jumping Spiders: This spider can be distinguished from other Texas spiders simply by the way it moves; it is an avid jumper and darts around with ease. Colors are usually black and gray, but more vivid markings are typically present in red, blue, green, white, or yellow hues.
- Tarantulas: Hairy and large, these spiders are some of the largest found in the entire state. Instead of building webs, tarantulas dig burrows. Observed mostly outside, this type of spider can find itself in a Texas home from time to time.
- Widows: The Lone Star State hosts this group of spiders known as some of the most dangerous spiders in the U.S.: the southern black widow, the western black widow, the northern black widow, and the brown widow. Although males are harmless, bites from females can lead to severe discomfort.
- Wolf Spiders: These spiders may wind up in Denton homes searching for insects to eat; homeowners do not appreciate their presence. A wolf spider typically features coloring in dark earth tones.
Taking Care Of Spiders Found In Homes
Different kinds of spiders can come through cracks and crevices to get indoors for shelter and water, but the most common attractant is typically food. Spiders need a constant bug buffet. If a home has a pest problem, it most likely has a spider problem too.
How To Get Rid Of Spiders
Any resident seeking to get spiders of the home can adhere to a schedule of spider prevention tactics:
- Address Moisture: Plenty of pests, including the eight-legged kind, love damp spaces and enough water. Enlist the help of a plumber to ensure pipes and faucets are drip-free. Repair leaky sprinkler heads as necessary.
- Clean House: Clear crumbs and disinfect food preparation areas frequently. Sweep, mop, and vacuum regularly. Contain food in canisters to reduce spills and prevent pests from accessing. Remove spider webs promptly. Discard clutter.
- Maintain The Yard: Ditch any yard debris like piles of leaf litter. Store firewood as far from the dwelling as possible- at least 20 feet.
- Use Caulk: Keep types of spiders in Texas out of the residence by blocking their entry. Mosey around the home’s exterior; look for cracks, gaps, and holes. Fill these areas with caulk to deter a variety of pests looking to invade.
Controlling Spiders In Denton, Texas
If spiders are becoming a problem in the home, there could be an infestation. The best way to handle such spider issues in Denton is to enlist the help of Mayco Pest and Termite Control professionals. Our team identifies customized pest solutions for each of our clients’ properties to yield a successful outcome.