I Have Ants In My Denton Home! What Should I Do About Them?
May 30, 2022 - Ants
If you see ants crawling in your Denton home this spring and summer, don’t fret! Our high-quality Denton pest control services are here to help—and get rid of those ants fast.
Ant populations are most active during warm-weather months, and in the spring and summer, it’s common for them to invade homes in Denton and surrounding areas. While you may think that pests are small and relatively harmless, when they infest living spaces, they can contaminate food and surfaces with dangerous bacteria.
Read on to learn why you have ants and where all these ants are coming from. We’ll also provide information on how to get rid of ants for good and how you can prevent ants in your Denton home.
Why Do I Have Ants?
Ants, like most pests, enter homes in search of accessible food, water, and shelter. However, it’s not only common but expected to accidentally bring a few occasional ants inside on clothing, shoes, and items.
Because ants are drawn to high-moisture areas, they’re likely to be found in bathrooms. And because they are constantly on the lookout for fallen crumbs and other food, they’re also likely to be found in kitchens. However, if food is carried into other home areas, such as in living rooms and bedrooms, and left out for a time, you’ll likely track ants throughout your home.
Where Are All These Ants Coming From?
There are a few ways that ants enter homes. Primarily, ants enter homes through:
- Cracks and gaps in the foundation
- Wall seams
- Open or damaged windows, doors, and surrounding frames
- Gaps surrounding utility line
- Carried in on toys, houseplants, tools, groceries, and other items.
The ants that you see may have also come from existing nests inside your home.
How Can I Get Rid Of The Ants In My Home?
Ants are difficult for homeowners to get rid of on their own. They live in large colonies, some of which contain hundreds of thousands of ants, so the sheer size of the infestation makes them a challenge. Ants can also simply pick up and relocate if they suspect their nest is being disturbed, meaning that different nests and even entire colonies may be active inside your home.
The fastest and easiest way to get rid of ants is with help from professional pest control services. Mayco Pest and Termite Control is a family-owned and operated business that’s been serving the residents of Denton for more than 12 years. We provide a range of ant control services designed to meet your specific pest needs—and they’re guaranteed. If you're concerned with pests, let the professionals handle it for you.
Can I Prevent Ants For Good?
Together with professional pest control and preventative action, your home has a great defense against ants and other pests. Here are four preventive suggestions that you can apply to ward off these pests:
- Store food properly, including storing fresh fruit in the fridge and other food in airtight containers. Be vigilant about how pantry items are stored as well.
- Don’t leave pet food out overnight. Once done eating, wash or rinse bowls. Regularly clean areas where pets eat to pick up any crumbs.
- Properly store trash in lidded cans and regularly remove trash from the home. Also, clean out trash cans regularly to prevent liquid buildup on the bottom.
- Be cautious about bringing houseplants inside, and if you do, thoroughly inspect the plants to be sure they’re not carrying any ants.
With these preventative tips and professional services from Mayco Pest and Termite Control, your home will be ant-free in no time at all. For help, call Mayco Pest and Termite Control today at 940-386-6894.