The Secret To Effective Ant Control In Denton
February 14, 2022 - Ants
We have all been guilty of not immediately sweeping up the crumbs from our snacks, or not thoroughly wiping up the sugary drink we spilled on the counter. We mistakenly think that we will simply clean it up later, or that we’ve done a good enough job picking it all up. Unfortunately, ants are waiting for homeowners in Denton to make the same mistakes all the time.
They might be small and otherwise mind their own business, but don’t let that fool you. Ants are capable of causing a lot of damage in your home, and all the different types of ants in Denton just means they all have their own special way of inflicting their own catastrophes.
What Attracts Ants To A Denton Home?
The first thing you can do to prevent ants from invading your Denton home is to arm yourself with knowledge about their habits and behavior. The first question is what attracts them. Unfortunately for us, there are many things that look appealing to ants:
- Food: At the end of the day, ant colonies are really just in search of food. Crumbs, liquids, spills, and other easily accessible food will bring the ants by the hordes
- Garbage: Not only will ants look in your cabinets, pantries, and dishwasher for food, but they will also happily crawl around your trash can in search of scraps as well.
- Previous ant scent trails: Scent trails left behind by other ants will attract a new colony if the previous ants were not exterminated properly. The new colony will simply follow the trail left by the other ants to more of your food and trash.
- Shrubs and bushes: Plants, trees, shrubs, and bushes that are close to your house or brush up against it will make your house look more appealing as ants scavenge for food on the plant branches.
The Problems Ants Can Cause In Your Denton Home
It should be noted that all ants have the ability to bite and harm humans and pets, although some ants can cause more painful bites and stings than others. And on top of this, ants can cause a wealth of damage to your home if not taken care of immediately.
The most concerning of this damage is the havoc they can wreak on the structural integrity of your Denton home. With the presence of carpenter ants in Denton, homeowners here are especially at risk. Carpenter ants find their way into your home by singling out tiny holes in wooden boards and then excavating their way through any soft wood they can find.
As they make their way through the beams of your house, carpenter ants will build their nests within them. Wood along window sills, along the side of the house, and near the foundation are all at risk, as they have the potential to hold moisture, making the wood a bit soggy and easy for the ants to get through. If left untreated, this nuisance pest can quickly make your home physically unstable — and dangerous for you to live in.
Effective Ant Prevention Tips For Denton Homes
Prevention is always better than having to get rid of an existing ant colony. Here are some tips on how to prevent ants from settling in your home:
- Garden tidying: Cut back any branches from shrubs, trees, and bushes that brush up against your home, as ants use these to get onto your house and look for holes.
- Caulk up holes in your home: Since ants get into your home by crawling through holes, make sure to plug up any hole you find on the side of your home, no matter how tiny it is.
- Clean: Make sure to thoroughly clean your kitchen, sweeping up all crumbs and wiping up any spills.
- Take out the garbage: When there is food in your trash, be sure to take it out as soon as possible, leaving nothing behind for ants to scavenge for. Store the trash away from the house.
How To Completely Get Rid Of Ants In Your Denton House
Prevention is the best method for getting rid of ants in your Denton home; however, it can be difficult to prevent ants from entering your home, no matter how hard you try to keep the house clean. That’s where Mayco Pest and Termite Control can help! Mayco Pest and Termite Control is a family-owned business that has been extinguishing ant colonies in Denton homes for a decade. Our expert technicians have the knowledge and tools needed to safely and effectively eradicate entire colonies within your home, ensuring they do not return and stopping any damage they may have been causing. Let us help you today with professional ant control in Denton.