What Plants Should I Plant In Denton, TX To Repel Mosquitoes?
October 31, 2021 - Mosquitoes
If you have lived in Denton, Texas, for any time, you know mosquitoes are annoying and unavoidable. When it comes to this pest, they tend to all look the same as we are swatting them away, but each species has distinct features. Four species are common in the Denton area. These species are:
Asian Tiger Mosquito:
- black and white striped pattern with a white stripe running down the middle of the head
- also has banding on the legs
- are aggressive
- known to carry Zika, West Nile virus, dengue fever, chikungunya, and Eastern equine encephalitis
Aedes Aegypti Mosquito:
- a striped appearance with white banding on the hind legs
- dark brown or black abdomen and white scales on the thorax
- can survive for several months without water which allows them to thrive in urban areas
- known to transmit dengue fever and Zika
- light brown with solid color legs and white bands on the abdomen
- most active at night
- commonly found southern states
- known to carry West Nile virus and St. Louis encephalitis
- Varies in color from grey and white, silver, or green
- most active right after sunset
- females feed on blood while males eat nectar
- known to transmit malaria, dengue fever, encephalitis, and yellow fever
While many products such as sprays, candles, and bracelets are available, people are still looking for natural ways to keep mosquitoes away from their property. Natural forms of repellent include utilizing plants that deter mosquitoes in Denton.
Five Plants That Can Help Repel Mosquitoes
While store-bought products can help keep mosquitoes at bay, you need to use them constantly. On the other hand, using plants that deter mosquitos will continuously do the work for you. Below are five plants you should consider using around your property to help keep mosquitoes away.
Plant 1: Lemongrass
- smells great and looks great while it repels mosquitoes
- can be planted outdoors or as a potted plant indoors
Plant 2: Eucalyptus Trees
- attractive and many varieties to choose from
- keeps away multiple types of insects, including mosquitoes and spiders
Plant 3: Phenomenal Lavender
- adds a pop of color while keeping mosquitoes away
- does well in moisture and humidity, the same conditions mosquitoes like
Plant 4: Citronella
- many mosquito repellent products like candles and torches contain citronella
- you can plant this small shrub for a similar effect
Plant 5: Garlic
- may not be the most popular garden plant, but mosquitoes and other nuisance insects can't stand the strong aroma
- can grow a garlic plant from store-bought bulbs
Using plants to aid mosquito control is a great natural solution. However, you will most likely need to use these plants in cohesion with other control methods. As a Denton resident, where mosquitoes are active for many months, you should consider the benefits of ongoing expert assistance.
Professional Mosquito Control
For the best in mosquito protection, contact the pros at Mayco Pest and Termite Control. We offer affordable mosquito control services for Denton, Texas residents. With regular monthly treatments from March through October, you can effectively reduce mosquito populations on your property. Using our eco-friendly methods, you can keep yourself and your family safe from potential mosquito-borne illnesses.
Not only will we treat your property, but we will recommend several natural tips, other than plants that can be used, to assist in keeping mosquitoes away. So don't wait; give a call at Mayco Pest and Termite Control to have one of our trained technicians inspect your property and get started with the pest services that will keep you safe.