What Smells Will Keep Bed Bugs Away From Denton Homes?
August 13, 2021
Bed bugs are a continual nuisance throughout the country, as these parasitic creatures prefer to feed on human hosts while they are sleeping. These wingless pests have a flat, oval body that typically measures from 3/16 to 1/4 of an inch long, and has a reddish-brown color. A misconception exists that bed bugs are more likely to exist in homes that are dirty and unkempt; however, the reality is that they indiscriminately remain wherever they have access to human food sources.
Bed bugs are often described as hitchhikers because they are typically transferred from place to place unknowingly within people’s clothing, suitcases, and other belongings. Travelers often encounter bed bugs in hotel rooms, or when using public transportation such as buses or trains. Once they arrive at a new location, they can begin reproducing and creating a larger infestation.
USDA Study Involving Various Oils
The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) conducted testing for assessing whether various essential oils and other natural materials could eradicate these pests. Scientists worked with technicians associated with Rutgers University to expose bed bugs to paraffin oil, the oil found in blood oranges, and several silicone extracts. The results showed only moderate efficacy, but have created some progress among manufacturers who are blending them into formulas used for the treatment of bed bugs.
Tips For Preventing Bed Bugs
- When staying in hotel rooms, always check the bedding materials and surrounding area for evidence of bed bugs, such as egg particles or tiny red or black stains that result from blood and their feces.
- If you suspect that your clothes or other materials have been exposed to bed bugs, either wash them and then machine dry on a high-heat setting or place the articles in the freezer overnight.
- Consider using bed-bug proof covers to encase mattresses and box springs, and place seasonal clothing and materials in durable vacuum-sealed bags before putting them in storage.
- Thoroughly inspect any second-hand mattresses, appliances, or furniture before bringing them into the home.
- Regularly check pets and their bedding materials for any evidence of bed bugs, and do not assume that the product you use for preventing fleas and ticks will necessarily be effective against them.
Do I Need A Pest Extermination Professional?
Stores and online retailers promote a host of do-it-yourself home treatment options that claim to eliminate bed bug infestations. Unfortunately, these pests are extremely resilient and will retreat to hard-to-reach areas below floors and inside walls to avoid many of these aerosol sprays and specialized formulas. Many of these store-bought products may also contain harsh chemicals that pose a risk to you and your family.
The best course of action is to leave the job of treating pest infestations to the pros. An experienced technician can conduct a detailed inspection of the premises—both inside and out—to gain a full understanding of the problem, and to determine the optimal solution. During this assessment, a seasoned expert may also identify other existing property conditions that make it susceptible to a future pest intrusion.
Licensed Provider Of Pest Management Services In Denton
The team of trained professionals at Mayco Pest & Termite Control has many years of experience delivering results for homeowners in the Denton area that have significant problems with troublesome and potentially dangerous pests. We have a solid track record of success that is based on our commitment to complete customer satisfaction.
Some of our current pest-specific treatment options include mosquito, rodent, and termite control plans that use the newest products to expel pests, and have proven to be safe. Contact our office today to schedule a comprehensive on-site inspection and estimate.